“I was fortunate enough to have Natalie edit my novel. She has terrific insight into character and plot development. She was extremely thorough and has taken my novel to the next level. She is professional and committed to the craft of writing. I would highly recommend Natalie’s services.” – M. Conlon
Before you query your manuscript or hit the upload button to self-publish, run your manuscript by another set of writer/reader eyeballs. Once you feel that you have written the best manuscript that you possibly can, it’s time to get another opinion. Even if you are in a critique group, you will likely get a different sort of feedback from a beta reader.
I offer quality beta reader services at an affordable price.
Here’s what you’ll get:
1. After reading your manuscript, I will answer, in detail, up to twenty questions that you have about your manuscript. You may want to know if it’s too long or too short. Is the main character engaging? Are there holes in the plot? You ask the questions and I promise to give you an unbiased, honest opinion supported with details from your manuscript.
2. Inline comments throughout the manuscript. This is a detailed, inline critique. Some comments will be positive, but others will point out areas where I think the story needs work.
3. A brief letter outlining what I see as the overall strengths and weaknesses of the manuscript.
What you will NOT get:
1. A line or copy edit. If you make the same grammatical or punctuation mistake repeatedly, I will point it out, but this is not a line edit. I am not a grammarian. A beta read is for the big picture, not the fine detail.
2. Sugar coating. You will get the unvarnished truth. I won’t be unkind or mean, but I will be honest. If you are not ready for honesty, then you’re not ready for a paid beta read.
What kind of manuscripts will you read?
I will accept most types of FICTION manuscripts, but will not accept the following: Romance novels; anything with child sexual abuse, rape of any kind, child or animal abuse or cruelty; anything over 200,000 words long.
NB: As a reader, I do NOT read romance novels. Thus, I am unlikely to enjoy manuscripts in which the primary plot is romance. If your novel is primarily a romance, I suggest you search for another beta reader.
How much does it cost?
Up to 75,000 words: $100
75,000 to 100,000 words: $125
100,000 to 150,000 words: $175
150,000 to 200,000 words: $225
Discounts are given if you want a second read of a manuscript that I previously beta read.
How do I get started and hire you to read my manuscript?
Simply e-mail me a note to NatWritesYA (at) gmail (dot) com. Let me know the word count, genre and a brief description of the book (think back cover blurb). If you have a time frame in which you need the work done, please let me know that as well. DO NOT SEND ME YOUR MANUSCRIPT without discussing with me first.
Writers helping writers. I’d be happy to help you push your manuscript up a notch.